Business & Hotel Management School (B.H.M.S.)
Business & Hotel Management School (B.H.M.S.) is located on the shore of Lake Lucerne and in the heart of Lucerne city. Within sight of Mount Pilatus and Rigi in the Swiss Alps, Lucerne is traditionally considered first and foremost as a tourist destination. It has also been voted as the 5th most popular tourist destination in the world in 2010 by Tripadvisor. This unique city is a perfect place for any international student who is looking for an experience of studying in Switzerland and to be well prepared for an ever challenging global career.
B.H.M.S. is also a member of the Bénédict Switzerland chain of schools. The chain has grown into a world-renowned learning organization, with specialization in hotel management being offered exclusively at B.H.M.S. in Lucerne. Here, a select group of approximately 300 students per year prepare themselves for hospitality opportunities available in the world’s fastest growing market and career segment.
- Ideal Location in the heart of Lucerne City The B.H.M.S. campus building and student residence are located in the heart of the beautiful city of Lucerne, one of the most visited cities in Switzerland.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree B.H.M.S. (together with The Robert Gordon University) has designed one of the fastest track BA Degrees in Switzerland without compromising quality. At B.H.M.S., students can achieve a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Hotel and Hospitality management in 18 months of study plus an 18 month internship period.
- Unique 5-week term system of education by dividing a 20-week semester into four mini-terms of 5 weeks each. This system enables students to focus on only 3 to 4 academic subjects at one time instead of the usual 8-10 subjects in other Swiss hotel schools.
- Assured Internship & Graduate Placement Industry training is an integral part of the study program at B.H.M.S. During every academic year, students are required to carry out a 4-6 month industry training period in a hotel or a restaurant approved by B.H.M.S. This is a paid Internship available to all students. In addition, B.H.M.S. works with numerous international placement agencies that specialize in placing graduated students in Europe, Asia and North America.
- EduQua-certfied private institute in Lucerne canton in compliance with Swiss federal and state law. EduQua is the Swiss Association for Quality & Management Systems (SQS) which certifies Swiss colleges and education institutions in Switzerland.
- Partnership agreement with The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen in the UK for granting the Bachelor of Arts Degree in Hotel & Hospitality Management in Switzerland. The Times Good University Guide 2010 named The Robert Gordon University as the best modern university in the UK.
- Full member of EURHODIP — the Leading Hotel Schools in Europe
- B.H.M.S. Higher Diploma Program is accredited by the University of Brighton, UK for progression towards the University’s BA (Hons) in Hospitality Management.
- Partnered with City University of Seattle in granting a Master of Business Administration in Global Management.
- Member of I-CHRIE — International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education
- Member of AHLA — American Hotel & Lodging Association
- B.H.M.S. Culinary program is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the American Culinary Federation Foundation.
- Diploma Program in Hospitality Management — 1 year
- Higher Diploma Program in Hospitality Management — 2 years
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Hotel and Hospitality Management — 3 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hospitality Management — 1 year
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hospitality Management + MBA in Global Management — 21 months
- Diploma in Culinary Management — 1 year
- Advanced Diploma in Culinary Management — 2 years
Industry training is an integral part of the study program at B.H.M.S. The school provides one sound training assignment per year in a business that has been carefully selected and chosen as a training venue. It provides an opportunity to gain paid work experience in a Swiss hospitality venue that is known throughout the world for its value during the early stages of a career.
The first assignment will be in a junior support role, where a student can practice the skills that they learned during their first six months at school. Culinarians complete their industry training in that department, whereas hospitality students will complete their training in either service, housekeeping or other supportive departments. Successful students may be able to assume more responsibility and guest contact in their second year.
Throughout the paid industry training period, students will have support available from B.H.M.S. B.H.M.S. is dedicated to helping students gain the best learning opportunity possible during their industry training time. The school employs a full-time Industry Training Coordinator solely for this purpose.
Industry training salaries in Switzerland are negotiated between the employer and the Federal Employee Union and are presently set at minimum CHF 2’115 per month gross. From this salary, students may have to pay for their room and board and taxes. The average net income per month is between CHF 1’200/1’400
B.H.M.S. takes great pride in its employability rates of its graduates; our measure of success.
Once a student has a proven track record working in a Swiss hospitality position, they are ready for the first career step. Should the individual possess the assertiveness and have that ‘sparkle in the eye’ for hospitality, B.H.M.S. is here to help. We prepare students for the industry by working together with reputable agencies that know the local market better than we do. Agency fees cover job prospecting and help prepare extensive documentation for employment as well as assistance with visa applications.
B.H.M.S. prepares students so they can deal with these agencies. This will require students to prepare for telephone interviews, help prepare a video resume and ensure that students are successful at securing an international internship that will lead to a meaningful career.